Thursday 18 July 2024

The Baird Review? GMP laid bare - like their victims.

 The Baird Review makes for dismal reading, in that, none of it's content is surprising but merely a reminder that the powers that be in this city and locality believe their power means more than the people they are paid to protect. Much like reading coroners reports, prison inspectorate reports, IMB recommendations for the prison system - it's clear, that in the criminal justice system there remains a toxic masculinity underbelly of power mad men who feel they wield justice of their own making. Be it strip searching vulnerable women, leaving men to parade and sit naked in cells, name calling and belittling language, from prisons to police stations up and down this country; the injustice and inhumanity and indignity is rife. It is, as Vera Baird noted "the culture in GMP seems to be one of exercising power they don't have, as and when they wish, without expecting to be held to account for it,"

This is a stark summary of the conduct of police officers as it's the kind of arbitrary summary one would expect from a crown court judge when sentencing. I have read and heard many a sentencing remark that skates across these sentiments all too well and yet, a criminal sentenced pays the price of such arrogance in their misdemeanour and deviant behaviour - why then are there no such consequences for this grotesque breach of trust and failing of duty for the GMP officers involved?

Do as I do, but not as I say.

The lip service public announcement with shallow and translucent apologies, masquerading as changed and learn-ed behaviours; but alas, and unsurprisingly, lacking in accountability and real acknowledgement.

If I stood in the dock before the judge and mumbled a half-arsed apology, citing a difficult period of time where I was "under pressure," - as GMP say is the reasoning behind this lapse in otherwise exemplary civic duty, if I dared to say I didn't perform my own civic duty to an acceptable standard, would I too get a slap on the wrist and be told to take heed and make use of "recommendations and learnings,"?

No.

I would be reprimanded for my lack of authenticity, depth of understanding of the impact of my actions, the harm they create and catalyse upon my victims and I would be sent to prison on the basis of a moral and legal breach of ethics and decency.

I'm just Fran.

I'm not a police officer. I'm not in a position of responsibility, but I do accept that when stepping outside of the lines, law and the morality that we live by - there are consequences.

I'm also Fran, who throughout my life has wanted, desperately to seek justice for my own moments in time that have been abused by men, but being statistical by nature and cynical even more so; I knew then, as I know now, no good would come of telling my truth in the hopes of justice, let alone conviction.

Because when a woman, particularly a woman who has been branded an addict, a sex worker, a fruit cake, a liar and a convict - the men in power, in their police stations up and down this country would greet such stories with disdain, disbelief, disinterest and much like the ladies referenced in the Baird report but somehow, in the most vulnerable moments of honesty and pain be found; criminal.

Worse; insignificant.

And apparently in Manchester, naked, abused and reminded of why we cannot put our faith in the people who are there to protect us.

I wrote in rage and sadness behind bars, mourning as we did, as women, the loss and tragedy of Sarah Everard. I was bitter and pained that every woman screaming from the concrete cells and barred windows, howled at the men who hurt them as we heard of another murder. Another abuse of power. Another woman lost to the violence of fragile little men with badges like little boys playing cops and robbers.

But these men don't play. They hurt. They kill. They laugh. They get away with it. Time and time again.

When does it stop?


Take a leaf out of Emmelines book GMP, for the love of god.

Let it be DEEDS NOT WORDS.

Because frankly, we've heard it all before.

No comments:

Post a Comment